statistical data

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 30 21:06:09 UTC 1994

> 1. Names of towns and cities in India with their longitudes and
>    latitudes.

I too would be very interested in discovering such a database, of the
same type as the Geographic Names Server at University of Michigan
(which unfortunately only covers North America). Please let me know if
you find anything of this sort.

> 2. Demographic data, by state, on:
>
>    tribes, their names, and number of people in each,
>    castes (subcastes), their names, and number of people in each,
>    languages, their names, and number of people in each.
>    dialects of each language, their names, and number of people in each.

This kind of demographic information, of course, is to be found in the
Census of India. Latest figures would be found in the 1991 Census,
whose volumes and results are still being issued.

>    other social and cultural characteristics such as:
>    number of different dress styles, cuisines, etc.

Can't think of any one central source for this sort of varied
information...

David Magier
magier at columbia.edu