Torture and execution (fwd)

J.K. Brzezinski brzezins at epas.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 21 22:35:07 UTC 1994

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 13:05:45 EDT
From: Louis Fenech <lfenech at epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Torture and execution

	I was wondering whether anyone knows if the dynasties of northern
India from the time of Mahmud of Ghazni to the coming of the British made
use of torture and public execution.  If so (and I have good reason to
believe they did) for what reasons were these utilised.  Were fellow
Muslims also tortured (Sarmad the Jewish convert to Islam (acc.  to
tradition).  Why?  Were many non-Muslims really presented with the option
of conversion to Islam or death?  Was the Jizya tax as discriminatory as
traditional accounts portray?  I am particularly interested in legal
literature in regard to torture and public execution (if such exists).
As these dynasties were identified as Muslim there seems no doubt that my
search will eventually take me to the Shariat.  What does Muslim Law
prescribe in this case is something I will look into.  Again any help you
can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Please reply to : Lou Fenech
Lfenech at epas.utoronto.ca