Aryans and the Indian homeland

dom dom%vigyan.ernet.in at vigyan.iisc.ernet.in
Wed Sep 21 20:34:46 UTC 1994

Well, I seem to have inadvertently put the cat among the pigeons!  I
thought my little note was a light-hearted squib to spark off
some discussion on why we believe what we believe in scholarship.  (I
do have strongly-held views, but those who know me also know that I enjoy
a good set-to in a discussion, without any rancour.)
Apparently someone went so far as to consider it "hate-mail", which
it certainly wasn't.  (I can't think of anyone I hate....) Instead of
engendering a discussion, I seem only to have provoked personal responses.

So may I take this opportunity to say how interesting
I thought Rob Meyer et al's musings and questions have been,
on the relationship
between tantra, veda and the heterodox traditions generally.  I hope
that this recent flurry of exchanges will not blot out that more
interesting thread of discussion.

It is such a pity that Alexis Sanderson does't use email (yet? much?).  His
direct input on this topic would be invaluable.  Is
there anyone in Oxford (Marcus?) who could go round and get him started up
and signed on to INDOLOGY?  (And Richard G. too, though he is even more
technophobic than Alexis.)

Dominik