Qualifications for entering into a debate

Richard Lariviere rwl at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:05:27 UTC 1994

Dear Prof. Dr. Frank (and I use the term advisedly) Conlon:

Just where do you get off telling me and my colleagues to have a "nice"
day?  While I readily admit to not being privy (and I use *that* term
advisedly) to the latest in hip west coast greetings, nevertheless I
deconstruct more than a little sarcasm in that remark, and I find it
profligate, even wasteful, since just a little sarcasm would have done
very nicely.

I am not familiar with the scholars you refer to in your typical
insider's manner, "the Simpsons", and I don't even want to know what
perverse politics may have given rise to the wildly inappropriate reference
to "having" cows.  I willsimply close by confessing, reluctantly, that the
tone of your letter has moved me to this--

YOU have a nice day.

Richard

PS.  Best to Joan.