Aryans and Dravidians

J.B. Sharma JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Tue Sep 20 22:32:29 UTC 1994

Satyanad wrote;
I think he was referring to the Indo-European languages of India.
A theory which does not take into account the existence
of the Dravidian group cannot be considered to be completely
satisfactory.

--------

 I think that Satyanad's point serves to focus the discussion. No
history of India can be complete without a clear understanding of the
early Aryan-Dravidian interaction. As Colin Renfrew's work suggests,
the Indo-Europeans were cultivators of land and that their expansion
was "kinder and gentler" (as coined by someone in an earlier post)
than hitherto envisaged. Therefore the early interaction is not
necessarily antagonistic. What are the scholarly opinions in this
area ?

 In this time in history of man, this forum should be the best place
in the world to come ask questions on Indian history. Bear in mind,
that the forum itself constitutes historical record. I hope that it
shall never be said that questions went abegging...

All the best,
J.B. Sharma