Court society

aklujkar at unixg.ubc.ca aklujkar at unixg.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 13 17:35:58 UTC 1994

On 6 Sep 94, there was the following inquiry by Dr. J.B. Bapat:
"I am looking for articles, books, references etc. on court society,
descriptions of courts, palaces. spatial organization, from Mogul,
Rajput, Maratha and Vijaynagar periods. Could someone help?"

I have in my modest collection of art books the following, none of which I
think is rare:
Edwards, Michael. 1969. Indian Temples and Palaces. London, New York,
Sydney, Toronto: Paul Hamlyn.Great Buildings of the World series. Has a
short bibilography for further reading at the end.
Nakagawa, Tsuyoshi.1973.  India. Bombay etc: Allied Publishers. Vol. 39 in
This Beautiful World series. Has a chapter on sultans and rajahs.
Gutman, Judith Mara. 1982. Through Indian Eyes.  New York: Oxford Univ.
Press. Intl' Centre of Photography. Many pictures of court life.

The best source materials for this sort of research, however, would come
from the many museums established in the capitols of former princely
states. The ones in Bhuj, Mysore, Bikaner, Hyderabad ...

Ashok Aklujkar, Professor, Department of Asian Studies, University of B.C.,
Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6T 1Z2. Tel: O: (604) 822-5185, R: (604) 274-5353.
 Fax O:
822-8937. E-mail: aklujkar at unixg.ubc.ca