Aryans and Dravidians

Mantra Corporation 0005614754 at mcimail.com
Fri Sep 9 13:58:00 UTC 1994

On July 28, 1994, one obeserved the following posted on USENET:

From: williams at pangea.Stanford.EDU (Tom Williams)
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology,sci.geo.geology,soc.culture.indian
Subject: Re: Vedic "Saraswati" River

In article <316n7l$m0c at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
hmccullo at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Huston McCulloch) writes:

> Last April, several articles were posted on soc.culture.indian,
> containing some remarkable geological claims concerning the Saraswati
> River that appears in the Rig Veda.
>
> According to these articles, quoting work by a David Frawley, recent
> Landsat photographs have revealed the ancient presence of a major
> river, now mostly dried up and filled in with sand, flowing from the
> Punjab
>
> [I haven't been able to find the Punjabi Saraswati Frawley mentions,
> but indeed "Studies from the post-graduate Research Institute of Deccan
> College, Pune, and the Central Arid Zone Research Institute (CAZRI),
> Jodhapur.  Confirmed by use of MSS (multi-spectral scanner) and Landsat
> Satellite photography.  Note MLBD Newsletter (Delhi, India:  Motilal
> Banarisidass), Nov. 1989.  Also Sriram Sathe, "Gharatiya
> Historiography", Itihasa Sankalana Samiti, Hyderabad, India, 1989, pp.
> 11-13."

This is certainly a reasonable sort of feature to have found and
delineated from LANDSAT data.  However I couldn't find any references to
Frawley's work.  This is pretty darned grey literature.

I did find three relevant references:

1)  Ahmad, F.  "Man, environment and geology since 2000 B.C. in
    Indo-Gangetic Valley."  1989.  (INTERNATIONAL GEOLOGICAL CONGRESS,
    ABSTRACTS--CONGRES GEOLOGIQUE INTERNATIONALE, RESUMES. ; Vol. 28, No.
    1, p. 18)

2)  Ahmad, F.  "Geological evidence bearing on the origin of the
    Rajasthan Desert (India)."  1986.  (PROCEEDINGS OF THE INDIAN
    NATIONAL SCIENCE ACADEMY, PART A: PHYSICAL SCIENCES ; Vol. 52, No. 6,
    p. 1285-1306)

3)  Murthy, S. R. N.  "The Vedic River Saraswati, a myth or fact; a
    geological approach."  Nov. 1980.  (INDIAN J. HIST. SCI. ; Vol. 15,
    No. 2, p. 189-192)

> So my question for geologists out there is, is there really such an
> ancient river bed in India, and did it dry up circa 1900 BC?
>
> The archaeological implications of Frawley's claim are also enormous,
> since it would indicate that the Rig Veda refers to the situation in
> India prior to 1900 BC, which antedates the presumed
> Aryan/Indo-Euruopean invasion of India.

Finding such a feature on a LANDSAT photo is still a separate issue from
showing that 1) the two really are the same river; and 2) it dried up
prior to 1900 BC.  One key question would be, what did they use to
establish this date this precisely.  I would expect dendrochronology to
be the best tool, assuming they've done some field work;  C-14 dating
would be a close second.

 ** AND **