None

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 8 15:44:43 UTC 1994

The following information was sent to me by a colleague. I thought it
might be of use to you all.     David Magier
                ---------------

All U.K. telephone and fax numbers are being changed, by the addition
of a number 1 before the area code.  This means that when dialled from
overseas, numbers in London will now become

+44 171 nnn nnnn

or

+44 181 nnn nnnn

rather than

+44 71 nnn nnnn

or

+44 81 nnn nnnn.

Similarly Liverpool numbers will become +44 151 nnn nnnn, Cambridge
numbers +44 1223 etc, and Oxford numbers +44 1865 etc.  At the moment
the old and the new numbers are said to be interchangeable, but the
old ones will go out of use early next year and the new ones will
become permanent.  Please change your address books accordingly. This
is the consequence of the change of the international dialing code for
calls made FROM the UK from 010 to the international standard OO
(still not in use in the US where it is 011)