Aryans and Dravidians

J.B. Sharma JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Wed Sep 7 13:28:18 UTC 1994

 For the past year or so I have been looking into to viewpoints
discrediting the Aryan Invasion theory, a la Max Mueller. The works
by David Frawley and Subhash Kak among others point to significant
inconsistencies in Max Muellers theory of Aryan invasion based
primarily on the interpretation of the verses of the Rig Veda. One of
the things pointed out by Frawley was that Mueller was a Christian
missionary and a creationist, and this was a consideration in his
fixing the Aryan invasions to about 1900 BC; This date had to be
within 3000 BC as that is when he believed creation came to be ! This
does not sound like a sound basis for historical science. Input from
liguistics and archeology also does not support Max Muellers view,
and casts his scholarship in doubt.
 One of the interesting alternate theories is that the Harrapa
culture was a vedic or proto vedic culture. It was based along the
now extint river Sarasvati (Hakkar-Ghagra basin) which ran thru parts
of Rajastan to the sea in Gujrat. They have found fire altars
suggesting fire worship, and other evidence of vedic culture. The
vedic river Saraswati is is most often mentioned in the Rig Veda, and
Ganga assumed greater significance after its demise. This does
suggest a urbane Harrapa culture with distinct vedic features. I dont
think that the entire picture is yet clear, but the cut and dried
Aryan invasion theory is cleary inconsistent. I can dig up a few
references in a few days if anyone is interested.
  No doubt more light will be shed on the subject as more work is
done. A cursory glance at the historical wastebasket does indeed show
it to be full of discarded paradigms !
All the best..
J.B. Sharma
Gainesville College