Hemadri Kosha

MAMCGEE at vaxsar.vassar.edu MAMCGEE at vaxsar.vassar.edu
Wed Sep 7 16:42:31 UTC 1994

I am sure that Vivekananda must be referring to the encyclopedic dharma-
nibandha of Hemadri (13th century minister and archivist of the Yadava kings
of Devagiri).  Hemadri treated numerous subjects and his nibandha is con-
sidered to be the largest; his longest treatment is of vratas, detailing
over 900 rituals -- this particular volume would have been a rich source
of rituals for Vivekananda.  As far as I know, not much of Hemadri has
been translated; however, Widener Library has several volumes of this nibandha
(known as the Caturvargacintamani) published (in Sanskrit) in the Biblio-
theca Indica in the late 1800s.  Let me know if you need further information.
Mary McGee (mamcgee at vassar.edu).