Sanskrit to be an elective subject in schools

Peter_Scharf at brown.edu Peter_Scharf at brown.edu
Thu Oct 13 05:26:25 UTC 1994

Dear Dominik,
        I'm not sure I understand your reference introducing the news that
Sanskrit will be an elective subject in High Schools:

>Like the boy who cried "wolf", I doubt if I will be believed now, but
>here it is anyway:
>
>The Hindu, Bangalore, October 7th, 1994
>=======================================

        Do you find anything objectionable to Sanskrit being made an
elective subject?  Is there anything objectionable to Latin being
reinstated as an elective subject in many American schools recently after a
period of its absence?  Because Latin has been introduced does that imply
any prejudice against Greek?  Or is a matter of degree immediately
prejudice?

        Peter Scharf
        Lecturer of Sanskrit
        Dept. of Classics