Sanskrit to be an elective subject in schools

Aditya Mishra z900672a at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us
Sun Oct 9 19:20:49 UTC 1994

It is not a matter of one language being superior to other. As a matter
of fact, a majority of Indians i.e. Hindus worship Sanskrit since Vedas
are written in this language.

BUT, and big BUT, not all are Hindus and India is a secular country. I
myself learned Sanskrit in Jr. HS as an optional subject. I was motivated
in that direction partly because I am Brahmin and am supposed to read
Sanskrit for rituals.

Even Hindus do not want to learn Sanskrit since it an extra burden in the
curriculum. Relation of Sanskrit to the modern day languages is like Latin
to Italian. Sanskrit is essentially a dead language and the only country
that has revived a dead language is Israel to make it an official
language but Israel is a theocratic state with only one religion. Even
catholic church has to give Latin mass eventually and catholics are no
less religious on that account.

As a matter of fact even the language contemplated and de jure official
language i.e. Hindi is resisted by a great many Hindus, and de facto
official language continues to be English despite all the political
fervor by the leading opposition parties. The public schools teach Hindi
but any Indian who can afford sends his children to private English
medium schools and English medium schooling has become one of the most
profitable industry in India. It is these schools that Dominick has
written about.

Aditya Mishra
Phone/FAX 305-746-0442 (Please leave message)
email:  z900672a at bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us
PRODIGY: TVDS96A