ITRANS for Indic text processing

dom dom%vigyan.ernet.in at vigyan.iisc.ernet.in
Wed Oct 5 15:11:26 UTC 1994

I have recently been in touch with Avinash Chopde about his ITRANS
package.  This is a set of programs for producing Indian script
output from transliterated input.  It supports several scripts,
and integrates with TeX.  You don't have to use TeX, though,
and there is a formatter included which outputs PostScript directly.

The new development is that Avinash will shortly be adding CS
encoding as a supported input coding scheme.

Avinash has included some Sanskrit texts with ITRANS, and these are
mostly texts that are not (yet) on the INDOLOGY listserv.  Also,
Avinash has linked ITRANS to a WWW server, so one can actually view
Sanskrit texts across the Internet, as long as you have Mosaic and
a Postscript previewer like GhostScript (both hefty programs, but available
free).

Here are some extracts from our recent exchanges:

Avinash says:

Don't know if I told you this, but there are also some documents in
ITRANS availabe through Mosaic. Soem 15--20 Sanskrit docs, and some 1000
Hindi Film Songs!

If/when you have Mosaic access to WWW, it is possible to see the docs in
the input transliterated form, and in the devenagari script (using a
PostScript viewer). The site is: http://chandra.astro.indiana.edu/isongs

====
Avinash Chopde    |    (508) 640 3138    |       Avid Technology, Inc.
avinash at acm.org   |   avinash at avid.com   |   Tewksbury, Massachusetts, USA

avid.com!achopde says: