statistical data

pclaus at s1.csuhayward.edu pclaus at s1.csuhayward.edu
Sat Oct 1 01:21:00 UTC 1994

The Census of India is now putting out all of its data on computer
disk, too.  Those who want the information on how to get these
can email me directly.

And there is the massive (and fascinating, as well as reasonably
accurate) _People of India Project_ edited by K.S. Singh, done
through the Anthropological Survey of India, and published (1992-)
in 43 volumes, 72 parts available through such distributors as
Vedams Books International (New Delhi).  It would be great if this
came out on disk.  Although I have not seen the volumes (all to be
completed by the end of 1994) reviews I have read (eg. India Today
sometime in the Spring of 1993) all laud the quality and say that
the material radically alters the stereotyped 'myths' about
traditional communities and their customs, practices and beliefs.
The entire series will cost about $2,000, making it easily affordable
for university libraries in the US.