politicisation of `indology'

purushottama bilimoria pbilmo at deakin.edu.au
Sat Nov 5 23:54:51 UTC 1994

Like many I too joined the network for scholarly discussions and
interchange, and I too am concerned about the manner in which highly
emotional and political issues have intervened and eroded the objective
pursuit of knowledge and understanding. I see both sides of the fench -
the staunch supporters of the current re-Hinduisation project (variously
defending the exclusivity and greatness of Hinduism, slipping into VHP
rhetoric) and the supposedly detached scholars of SOuth Asia who
apprently have no vested interest in the matter
; most Western trained south asianists or `indologists` would count
themselves belonging to the latter camp. Why we have lowered our
standards and entered into the bun-fight in cyberspace has, I believe,
something to do with our own characterisation as members of a list called
`Indology'. What is Indology, one may ask, and is different from
Orientology, which after Said we grudgingly accept was largely a western
construct of knowledge about the `other'? Now we have a new epithet by
which we refer to this trade, namely Orientalism. It may be a bit fra
stretched, but I already ventured (at the IXth World Sanskrit Conference
in Melbourne) and suggested that there is much in our `discipline` we
have inherited from the previousd two centuries we call (or refer to as)
INDOLOGY which has elemnets of Indologism in it. It is this shadow that
we have not thrown offin its entirely, and it is this that keeps
intruding into even our most balanced, reflective and non-personal
judgments as we unconsciously defer to a great deal of presuppositions
and cultural discourse that have preceded our own scholarship in areas in
which we stride to make comments. I am writing on Indologism, its roots
and impact on a range of issues and treatment,particularly in philosophy
(which is my speciality) through the overbearing interventions of
philology. (I have copyrighted the term Indologism.) But this is another
story.

So Iam not surprised that there are periodic outbursts and tirades
against the reach of Indology; but it detracts from scholarly discussions
on lesser and more specific pursuits such as questions of etymology,
texts on this and that, and general information seeking. So there we are,
some self-reflection on the grander pursuits we may not have even
intended to flag could well be healthy, and can serve other intelelctual
purposes.

Purushottama Bilimoria
Australia