INDIAN JEWISH FEMALE SKTIST(S)

Dominik Wujastyk D.Wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 19:02:42 UTC 1994

In message Mon, 7 Mar 1994 22:34:49 GMT,
  ALLEN W THRASHER <THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV>  writes:

> A  patron asking for information on Indian Jewry wanted the
> name           and address of  an Indian Jewish woman working on Sanskrit
> at the           Maharajah Sayajirao University of Baroda, one  with  a
> name  one           would take to be Jewish.

Prof Esther Solomon was for many years Prof. of Sanskrit at Gujarat
University, Ahmedabad.  Her best known contributions are to the early
textual history of Sankhya.  (She is one of the very few people ever to
have seen a manuscript from the Jnana Bhandar in Jaisalmere.)  I have an
idea that she is now retired, but I'm not sure.

I don't know of any one else, or anyone in Baroda.

Dominik
--
Dominik Wujastyk           Phone (and voice messages): +44 71 611 8467
Wellcome Institute, 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.