subscribing

Thomas Malten ami01 at rs1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Mon Jan 10 14:16:05 UTC 1994

thanks for the compliment. we have also released (but not yet officially)
a tamil-german dictionary and a catalogue of Tamil books in our library (so
far some 25,000 items). we are preparing a geographical names server for
Tamilnadu containing all village names take from the census 1981.

to subscribe to "tamil-l"
just send an email message to

listserv at vm.urz.uni-heidelberg.de

(without subject)
containing only the line:

subscribe tamil-l YourFirstname Yourlastname

I am sending all announcements also to "indology" (listserv at liverpool.ac.uk)
and to soc.culture.tamil

-thomas malten

Date: 10 Jan 1994 11:06:11 GMT
From: ALLEN W THRASHER <THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV>
Subject: ELEPHANT MEDICINE BOOK

          I own a  MS book on the medicine of elephants, written in 'Hindi'
          (taking that word  in  a  wide sense), with illustrations showing
          each illness personified as a demonic being attacking an elephant
          in various bodily parts.  I have never seen another complete copy
          of this but  a private collector owns a single sheet from another
          copy. There is nothing like this in any of the published Sanskrit
          books  on elephants and Gajayurveda I  have seen.  The individual
          leaf may  be used in  a planned exhibit at another institution on
          Indian medicine; so finding out  more about the  work  has become
          more important.  Is anyone familiar with books of this type?  Are
          there other medical books with illustrations showing the diseases
          as demons, e.g. on human or equine medicine?  The only ones I  am
          familiar with are some published eds. of the Kumaratantra showing
          the diseases attacking children under 16 as demons.

          Allen Thrasher
          Southern Asia Section
          Library of Congress
          Washington, DC 20540-4744