anupalabdhi (Ms. Kellner- U. of Hiroshima)

Enrica Garzilli garzilli at husc.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 23 15:55:13 UTC 1994

Der Ms. Kellner,
I hope this is useful.

Buddhism: Dharmottara, Nyayabindutika (p. 122-123)
see D. Misra, Dharmottarapradipa, ed by P. D. Malvania, Rev. II ed., Patna
1971

 On Dharmakirti see :
R. GNOLI, Dharmakirti, Pramanavartikkam. The First Chapter with the
Autocommentary, Text and Critical Notes, Serie Orientale Roma XXIII,
IsMEO, Roma XXIII, IsMEO, Roma 1960

E. STEINKELLNER [what a similarity with your name!]
  wrote several papers on
Dharmakirti, with ref. to anupalabdhi

On Dinnaga
see

G. TUCCI, The Nyayamukha of Dignaga, after Chinese and Tibetan materials,
Heidelberg 1930

Of course you might see also Dinnaga & Dharmakirti Hindu critics such as
Kumarila, Uddyotakara, Vacaspatimisra, Jayanta

Dinnaga's Prajnaparamitapindartha: Sanskrit text with transl. and Notes
by G. TUCCI, in JRAS, 1947, pp. 53-75 ; later by e. FRAUWALLNER, in
WZKSO, 1959, pp. 140144;
later on by R. GNOLI, Testi Buddhisti, Torino, UTET, 1983, pp. 415- 425.
His Introduction to Buddhist Logic (with Dinnaga, Dharmakirti etc.) is
short but very clear and full of precise and always reliable bibl. inf.
also on Tibetan and Chinese editions of texts.
*******************************
Hindu side:
Utpaladeva, a Sivaite teacher (900/925-950/975 A.D.), pupil of Somananda
(who quotes the VP of Bhartrhari--see his Sivadrsti: transl by R. GNOLI,
Sivadrsti by Somananda, in East & West, 8, 1957; R. GNOLI, Vac. Il secondo
capitolo della SIvadrsti di Somananda, in Rivista degli Studi Orientali,
34, 1959), talks about *anupalabdhi* in his
Isvarapratyabhijnakarika, I, 2, 1-2, I,7,7 et passim
He wrote two comment.s on this book, of which we have fragments.
ABHINAVAGUPTA (lineage:
Somananda-Utpaladeva-Laksmanagupta-Abhinavagupta)
commented the  Isvarapratyabhijnakarika with  2 works:
Isvarapratyabhijnavimarsini (see Bhaskarakantha, Bhaskari. A Commentary
on the IIV of Abhinavagupta Vols. I-II, ed . K. Iyer & K.C. Pandey,
Allahabad 1938-1950--
English transl. by K.C. Pandey, Bhaskari, Vol. III, Lucknow 1954)
Isvarapratyabhijnavivrtivimarsini, ed. M. K. Sastri, Vols, I-III, KSTS,
Bombay 1938-1943

******These Trika philosophers (also philosophers of language) know and
use/debate logic concepts such as that of
non-perception (anupalabdhi) therefore you might like looking at their works
(esp. the above mentioned Soma, Utpa, Abhinava)*******

Trika teachers starting from Somananda used grammarians and grammar  (e.g.
also Ksemaraja a  pupil of Abhinavagupta in his Spandasamdoha pp. 9-10 uses the explanation
of dvandva of the Mahabhasya to explain the karika on which he wrote the
booklet) to build their philsophy of perception, of language, etc.
I hope these notes are clear enough--I wrote them very quickly!!!!!
Happy New Year!
Enrica Garzilli