Fw: e-mail virus it's just a rumor don't panic:-)

xmd11 at calvanet.calvacom.fr xmd11 at calvanet.calvacom.fr
Thu Dec 8 17:20:22 UTC 1994

>Date: Wed,  7 Dec 1994 19:33:40 GMT
>Sender: indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk
>From: Sandra Kisner <sjk3 at cornell.edu>
>To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject: Fw: reported e-mail virus
>
>Both the Good Times and xxx-1 "virus" warnings are hoaxes.  Please do
>not spread them.
>
>Sandra Kisner
>sjk3 at cornell.edu
>------------------------------
>Subject: reported e-mail virus
>
>This was just distributed by Mann Library technical staff.
>
>>Attached is an excerpt from the Dec. 6, 1994 issue of CIAC Notes, a
>>computer and net security pub from the US Dept. of Energy's Computer
>>Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC) group.
>>
>>_Vin McLellan
>>   The Privacy Guild
>>
>>////////////DOE CIAC Text Begins Here ///////////////////
>>
>>THE "Good Times" VIRUS IS AN URBAN LEGEND
>>
>>In the early part of December, CIAC started to receive information requests
>>about a supposed "virus" which could be contracted via America OnLine, simply
>>by reading a message.  The following is the message that CIAC received:

>>| Here is some important information. Beware of a file called Goodtimes.    |
>>|                                                                           |
>>|  Happy Chanukah everyone, and be careful out there. There is a virus on   |
>>| America Online being sent by E-Mail.  If you get anything called "Good    |
>>| Times", DON'T read it or download it.  It is a virus that will erase your |
>>| hard drive.  Forward this to all your friends.  It may help them a lot.   |
>>
>>THIS IS A HOAX.  Upon investigation, CIAC has determined that this message
>>originated from both a user of America Online and a student at a university
>>at approximately the same time, and it was meant to be a hoax.
>>
>>CIAC has also seen other variations of this hoax, the main one is that any
>>electronic mail message with the subject line of "xxx-1" will infect your
>>computer.
>>
>>This rumor has been spreading very widely.  This spread is due mainly to the
>>fact that many people have seen a message with "Good Times" in the header.
>>They delete the message without reading it, thus believing that they have
>>saved themselves from being attacked. These first-hand reports give a false
>>sense of credibility to the alert message.
>>
>>There has been one confirmation of a person who received a message with
>>"xxx-1" in the header, but an empty message body.  Then, (in a panic, because
>>he had heard the alert), he checked his PC for viruses (the first time he
>>checked his machine in months) and found a pre-existing virus on his machine.
>> He incorrectly came to the conclusion that the E-mail message gave him the
>>virus (this particular virus could NOT POSSIBLY have spread via an E-mail
>>message).  This person then spread his alert.
>>
>>As of this date, there are no known viruses which can infect merely through
> [...]
So it's just a net Rumor :-)

hup's

Hi everibody, let me introduce me, my name is xavier Martin-Dupont, I'm
french student in linguistic field (so my english is prety bad) and I'm
reading this list with a lot of interest (one of my interest topic's is
historical Linguistic : ). I'm also quite interested by the work of
G.Dumezil (comparated mythology, cf Mythe et epopee 3t galimard bibiotheque
des sciences humaine) and the E.Benveniste studies : le vocabulaire des
institutions indo-europeennes (2t edition de minuit col le sens commun)...
and so on