Astadhyayi.zip -- what is it and how to read?

Andras Micsik micsik at ilabx3.ilab.sztaki.hu
Mon Aug 8 08:21:29 UTC 1994

I would like your help in the following: I have downloaded the
astadhyayi.zip file from ftp.bcc.ac.uk. Inside there is one TeX file,
stating to be Panini's Sutrapatha. I have tried to TeX it, but there
were strange results. The text contained letters like T,C,K,
French-like accents, and other unknown characters, e.g. two short
horizontal parallel lines. I am beginner with Sanskrit, but this text
seems to be corrupted. So could you tell me:

1. What is Sutrapatha? I know only Astadhyayi from Panini. And why are
the names different outside and inside?

2. How can I reproduce the text? Do I need some special font or utility
to replace uppercase characters and other strange effects?

					Andras Micsik