Sandalwood Mythology?

3056kmj at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu 3056kmj at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 28 06:40:27 UTC 1993

I am working on a book about the worldwide role of plants in myth and
ritual.  For India, I'm using the pipal/bo, lotus, and sandalwood.
There is no problem in finding rich data for the pipal and lotus,
but I'm having some trouble with sandalwood mythology.  So far, the
only clue I have to a possible mythic layer is linguistic: the Sanskrit
root, -cand-, is found in moon (-canda-) as well as in sandalwood
(-candana-), and -candra- includes among its many meanings both moon
and sandalwood.  If anyone on the list could provide me with anything
further, no matter how minimal, I would be grateful.  (My apologies to
those who are also on the Buddha-L list, to which I posted a similar
request last week.)

Thank you,

Kathleen Jenks, Ph.D.
1311 Harbor Blvd., #3