India office OPAC?

banks at vax.oxford.ac.uk banks at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 14:22:12 UTC 1993

[I sent this message a couple of days ago, but it hasn't appeared yet, and
I think my mailer was on the blink for a while, so apologies if you receive
it twice]

>Can someone tell me how to access the British library catalogues via INTERNET?
>Actually, their availability comes as  a (pleasant) surprise, since ten years
>ago, the Bodleian for example, did not even have a proper card catalogue. I
>routinely dial into the various American library catalogues, of course.
>
>Shailendra Raj Mehta
>mehta at mgmt.purdue.edu

and

>I would be very much interested if you could please let us know about this
>possibility on this net.
>
>kind regards
>Devendra Singh

There is a very useful (and long) document by Art St George which lists
over 100 on-line library catalogues world-wide, mostly in the US but also
including Bodley. It also provides a description of what's there and very
clear instructions on how to make contact. Below is an extract from a
recent announcement which gives details of how to get the latest version of
the document.

For those of you who can use a gopher server, I searched 'gopherspace' with
the key words 'library catalogs' (NB: US spelling of catalogue) and turned
up dozens of leads to follow, including direct search facilities, documents
like the one described below, discussions on compatibility etc.

Marcus Banks, Oxford

=================================

A new relese of the Internet-Accessible Library Catalogs
and Databases has been posted on LISTSERV at UNMVM.

To obtain the revised file, send mail or a command to
LISTSERV at UNMVM.  The body of the mail or command should say
GET INTERNET LIBRARY. This will retrieve the ascii version of
the file.  The Postscript version is obtained by using the
command GET LIBRARY PS.  Because of the size of the PS
file, some users may experience difficulties in retrieving
it.

Both the ascii and PS files are also obtainable via
anonymous FTP and from two sites. From NIC.CERF.NET, cd
to cerfnet/cefnet_info and retrieve files called:

internet-accessible-catalog-nov90-general.ps (Postscript)
internet-accessible-catalog-nov90.txt (ascii)

You can also FTP to ARIEL.UNM.EDU and cd to library.
The files are called:

library.ps (Postscript)
internet.library (ascii)

It is possible to automatically receive updated versions of
this file. For more information, send mail or a command to
your nearest Listserv node or, only as a last resort, to
Listserv at unmvm. The body of the mail or the command should
say INFO AFD.  You will be sent a file called Listafd Memo
which describes the automatic file distribution feature
of the Revised Listserv.

As always, if you have any questions about the List or suggestions
for additions or corrections, please send mail to stgeorge at unmb
or stgeorge at bootes.unm.e