Om namah siddham

madhav.deshpande at um.cc.umich.edu madhav.deshpande at um.cc.umich.edu
Mon Oct 25 18:52:12 UTC 1993

        There has been some good discussion about "om namah siddham."  It
seems to appear as the first statement of a 17th century commentary on the
Shaunakiiyaa Caturaadhyaayikaa by an author named Krishnadaasa.  He gives
a rather Hinduized interpretation of the statement.  Probably the author
is from Western India, i.e. Gujarat, Rajasthan, or Maharashtra, and is
deeply influenced by Saarasvata-VyaakaraNa and Bhattoji's Siddhaanta Kaumudi.
        He makes an interesting argument about the vocalic r in Sanskrit.
He refers to some scholar's view that the vocalic r must be actually
consonantal, because the consonant r preceding the vocalic r is written
on top of the vocalic r, as in the word nir+Rti.  While the argument
clearly confuses phonology with orthography, is it possible to date the
beginning of such a possible argument based on our knowledge of the evolution
of scripts?
                Madhav Deshpande