Hi!

Sunando Sen SENS at fasecon.econ.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 30 20:23:41 UTC 1993

SINGH at LANDO.HNS.COM

> I am interested in the Devnagri text.
>
> Can I do a ftp from ftp.bcc.ac.uk?

Yes, you have my permission.

Sunando Sen

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 22:15:07 +0100
From: Yannis.Haralambous at univ-lille1.fr (Yannis Haralambous)
To: indology at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: RE: Hi!

For those who are afraid of TeX we are making (at the INALCO = French
Institute of Oriental Languages, former Langues'O) an interface using Word
(and eventually later WordPerfect and other popular word processors). This
interface, called Humanist (because it humanises (La)TeX) will allow the
user to avoid TeX syntax, and to markup his/her document using Word functions
or personnalized instructions like <CHAPTER title of chapter>.

Non-Latin alphabet languages will be typed in their own script, using special
Humanist fonts. No escape sequences, just the fact of typing in a different
script will produce the right (La)TeX code for every language (plus a lot of
post-treatment, like adding keshideh to Arabic, pre-hyphenating Cambodian etc)

Special attention is drawn to the fact that a Humanist output file is a pure
LaTeX file without any form attributes, just structural ones. The fact of
switching to italic or bold inside Word will produce an emphatic environment
in LaTeX. The fact of underlining a word in Word will produce an index entry
in LaTeX. Word tables and footnotes are converted to the respective LaTeX
environments. Any attempt of the user to format his Word document (justifi-
cation, choosing different font sizes, setting page dimensions etc.) will
simply and purely be _ignored_. Laguages sharing the same alphabet will be
differentiated by using different fonts: in this way punctuation for each
language will be automatically corrected , indexes separated, proper
hyphenation etc.

Humanist will be written in ANSI C and will be entirely in the publc domain.
A first release is scheduled for spring 1994. It will probably be officially
presented at the TUG'94 meeting in July (Santa Barbara).

The first languages I will work on will be Khmer, Arabic, Vietnamese, Bengali
because the corresponding departments at the Institute have assigned me to
make TeX systems (the Khmer system will be published in a forthcoming EP-ODD).

Hope this has re-established your faith in TeX

Cheers

 | Yannis Haralambous                    Yannis.Haralambous at univ-lille1.fr |
 |  Centre d'Etudes et de Recherche sur le Traitement Autom. des Langues   |
 |    Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (Paris)    |
 |        Private address: 187, rue Nationale, 59800 Lille, France         |
 |                        Fax: (33) 20.40.28.64                            |