Network Exchanges

Brendan S. Gillon CXBG at MUSICA.MCGILL.CA
Fri Jan 29 14:19:07 UTC 1993

First, let me say that I appreciate Chris Woodruff's advice.
In particular, I believe with him that it is a good idea
to avoid personal comments and "heat of the moment" replies.
I myself was tempted to send off such a reply to the last
set of exchanges, but I was too busy to find the time, and
as a result ended up pondering the issue a little more
deeply.

I believe that the Indology network serves us well. It
provides a good medium for the exchange of intellectually
trivial but perhaps practically important matters, such
as locating people and getting information about how to
solve some electronic problem of an essentially type-setting
nature.

What I do find disappointing is that this seems to be
about the limit of such a form of exchange. I guess that
about 99 per cent of what gets exchanged on this network
is of a metalinguistic nature, and the remainder actually
is part of the subject matter purported to be covered.
I welcome any discussion of substantive problems concerning
the study of India.

I suggest, however, that longer items be prefaced with an
abstract of the content.

Brendan S. Gillon                    Department of Linguistics
                                     1001 Sherbrooke Street West
Tel:   514 398 4868                  McGill University
Fax:   514 398 7088                  Montreal, Quebec
email: cxbg at musica.mcgill.ca         H3A 2T6   CANADA