malevolent dead

rcohen at sas.upenn.edu rcohen at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Dec 21 15:45:14 UTC 1993

> >I am working with someone on a project concerning monsters and
> >malevolent spirits, etc.  During my studies of this wholesome topic over
> >the years I have seen references to the churel--the spirit of a woman who
> >has died in childbirth or as a result of some other polluting event.  Some
> >sources say that the churel has her feet on backwards, a motif I think I
> >have encountered in the folklore of other cultures. Does anyone know the
> >significance of this anatomical oddity other than the obvious fact the
> >footprints would be misleading?
>
>  I have seen miniature paintings from Kangra or other Pahari kalams
depicting the malevolent being you refer to, with the reversed feet. Could
there be a Himalayan connection, or should we consider the phenomenon
generally Indic?

--
Richard J. Cohen, Assistant Director, South Asia Regional Studies
University of Pennsylvania, 820 Williams Hall, Univ. of Pennsylvania
E-mail: rcohen at mail.sas.upenn.edu

Date: 22 Dec 93 15:39:00 EST
From: Jitendra Khare <KHARE at csvaxe.csuohio.edu>
Subject: RE: Oriya fonts

Does anybody know where I can get DEVNAGARI FONTS?
KHARE at CSVAXE.CSUOHIO.EDU