SOAS ceases all publications and cancels Linguistics!

David Stampe stampe at EDU.HAWAII.UHCC.UHUNIX
Thu May 21 01:55:27 UTC 1992

I already took the liberty of forwarding to LINGUIST the letter that
Dominik forwarded to INDOLOGY, upon its arrival yesterday.  But after
reflecting on the director's letter, I think it suggests that ceasing
to publish BSOAS is as important as the loss of the linguistics
department (!), and I would hope he might be asked for another draft.
His letter should list the current membership of the department: it is
through the work of its individual scholars that the department's work
is known, and that is more likely to elicit effective letters against
closing the department.

If such a letter can be obtained, it should be forwarded to LINGUIST
(LINGUIST at TAMVM1 or linguist at tamvm1.tamu.edu), and also to HUMANIST
(HUMANIST at BROWNVM.BITNET), and other mailing lists, and also posted
to the many appropriate Usenet groups.  I'd be glad to help do that.

David Stampe <stampe at uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, <stampe at uhunix.bitnet>
Dept. of Linguistics, Univ. of Hawaii/Manoa, Honolulu HI 96822