[INDOLOGY] Texts about translators and translation?

Steve Farmer saf at safarmer.com
Fri Jan 3 18:26:31 EST 2020

Nataliya Yanchevskaya writea:

> A student of mine wants to study Sanskrit texts about translation and translators. She also asked me if I knew any short poems or jokes – again, in Sanskrit – about translators.

Hi Natasha,

On translator poems, jokes, etc.: When struggling for a decade translating an outrageously obscure medieval (Latin) text, I always wondered if there were something in Sanskrit (or Chinese, etc.) that could match the poetic efficiency of the classic Italian “Traduttore, traditore!”

I never found one, but I’d assume sentiments like this are linguistic universals of sorts. :)

If anyone  knows anything similar in Sanskri, I’d assume he/she would be on the Indology List.

Steve

Steve Farmer
The Systems Biology Group
Palo Alto, CA