[INDOLOGY] Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara 'property'?+Digitized Vasudevahiṇḍi?

DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE diegoloukota at ucla.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:35:37 EDT 2018


  I would like to thank Drs. Oranskaia, Tieken, and Koch for the very
helpful references regarding *pavitthara*: it is plenty to work with for
while, in the hopes of elucidating this interesting word. I seize the
occasion to ask: does anyone have, or is aware of a digitized text of the
*Vasudevahiṇḍi*?

​

*namaskaromi, *
  Diego​







On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM, <indology-request at list.indology.info>
wrote:

> Send INDOLOGY mailing list submissions to
>         indology at list.indology.info
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://list.indology.info/mailman/listinfo/indology_
> list.indology.info
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         indology-request at list.indology.info
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         indology-owner at list.indology.info
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of INDOLOGY digest..."
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya (David and Nancy Reigle)
>    2. Re: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya (alakendu das)
>    3. Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara 'property'?
>       (DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE)
>    4. Re: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya (David and Nancy Reigle)
>    5. Re: Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara 'property'?
>       (Rolf Heinrich Koch)
>    6. Re: Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara 'property'?
>       (Tieken, H.J.H.)
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: David and Nancy Reigle <dnreigle at gmail.com>
> To: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com>
> Cc: Indology <indology at list.indology.info>
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:27:55 -0600
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
> Dear Alakendu Das,
>
> Since the story of Maṇḍana Miśra becoming Sureśvara is only found in some
> religious biographies of Śaṅkarācārya, we cannot know for certain whether
> it is fact or fiction. Therefore some scholars have tried to determine this
> by comparing the writings of Maṇḍana Miśra and Sureśvara, and finding
> references to them in other writings.
>
> The first person to call into question the accepted tradition of their
> identity seems to have been M. Hiriyanna in two articles, “Suresvara and
> Mandana-Misra,” published in The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of
> Great Britain and Ireland, 1923, pp. 259-263, and 1924, pp. 96-97. After
> some intervening articles on this topic by others, S. Kuppuswami Sastri, in
> his long English Introduction to his 1937 Sanskrit edition of Brahmasiddhi
> of Ācārya Maṇḍanamiśra, pp. xxiv-lvii, provided considerably more evidence
> that the two are different individuals. Yet in the Foreword to that same
> 1937 book, pp. vi-ix, P. P. Subrahmanya Sastri countered this evidence and
> maintained the traditional identity of the two. The debate has continued
> ever since. Suffice it to give two examples.
>
> R. Balasubramanian in his article, “Identity of Maṇḍanamiśra” (Journal of
> the American Oriental Society, vol. 82, 1962, pp. 522-532), did not accept
> as definitive Kuppuswami Sastri’s evidence that the two are different
> individuals. He concluded, p. 532: “We can settle this question only if
> there is more definite evidence than we have at present in favour of either
> of the two views.”
>
> Allan Wright Thrasher in his book, The Advaita Vedānta of Brahma-siddhi
> (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1993), wrote, p. 121: “I do not wish here to
> reopen the debate on Maṇḍana’s identity with Sureśvara, which I consider to
> have been settled once for all against their identity by Kuppuswami Sastri
> in his introduction to the BS.” Thrasher gives a bibliography of the debate
> in note 36 on pp. 155-156, with fuller references found in the Bibliography
> to his book, including dates of publication. He also counters
> Balasubramanian’s article in note 37, pp. 156-157.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Reigle
> Colorado, U.S.A.
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 2:31 AM, alakendu das via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Note: Forwarded message attached
>>
>> -- Original Message --
>>
>> From: "alakendu das"mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>> Subject: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com>
>> To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
>> Cc:
>> Bcc:
>> Date:
>> Subject: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>> Note: Forwarded message attached
>>
>> -- Original Message --
>>
>> From: "alakendu das"mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>> Subject: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com>
>> To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
>> Cc:
>> Bcc:
>> Date:
>> Subject: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>> To All,
>>
>> Can anybody may kindly enlighten me on the question as to whether the
>> names Mandan Misra and
>> SureshwarAcharya refer to the same person.? History has to say that
>> Mandan Misra engaged himself in an
>> ardous argumentation with Shankaracahrya ,while utimately accepting
>> defeat, and was Re christened as
>> SureshwaraAcharaya. Is this fact or fiction?
>>
>>
>> ALAKENDU DAS.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> INDOLOGY mailing list
>> INDOLOGY at list.indology.info
>> indology-owner at list.indology.info (messages to the list's managing
>> committee)
>> http://listinfo.indology.info (where you can change your list options or
>> unsubscribe)
>>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com>
> To: David and Nancy Reigle <dnreigle at gmail.com>
> Cc: <indology at list.indology.info>
> Bcc:
> Date: 24 Mar 2018 18:59:33 -0000
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
> Dr.David and Nancy Ringley,
>
> Thank you very much for your very very illuminating answer.I wish I would
> be able to make a search for Kuppuswamy's article.
>
>
>
> Alakendu Das.
>
>
> From: "David and Nancy Reigle"dnreigle at gmail.com
> Sent:Sat, 24 Mar 2018 22:57:57 +0530
> To: alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
> Cc: Indology indology at list.indology.info
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
> Dear Alakendu Das,
>
> >
>
> >
>
> Since the story of Maṇḍana Miśra becoming Sureśvara is only found in some
> religious biographies of Śaṅkarācārya, we cannot know for certain whether
> it is fact or fiction. Therefore some scholars have tried to determine this
> by comparing the writings of Maṇḍana Miśra and Sureśvara, and finding
> references to them in other writings.
>
> The first person to call into question the accepted tradition of their
> identity seems to have been M. Hiriyanna in two articles, “Suresvara and
> Mandana-Misra,” published in The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of
> Great Britain and Ireland, 1923, pp. 259-263, and 1924, pp. 96-97. After
> some intervening articles on this topic by others, S. Kuppuswami Sastri, in
> his long English Introduction to his 1937 Sanskrit edition of Brahmasiddhi
> of Ācārya Maṇḍanamiśra, pp. xxiv-lvii, provided considerably more evidence
> that the two are different individuals. Yet in the Foreword to that same
> 1937 book, pp. vi-ix, P. P. Subrahmanya Sastri countered this evidence and
> maintained the traditional identity of the two. The debate has continued
> ever since. Suffice it to give two examples.
>
> R. Balasubramanian in his article, “Identity of Maṇḍanamiśra” (Journal of
> the American Oriental Society, vol. 82, 1962, pp. 522-532), did not accept
> as definitive Kuppuswami Sastri’s evidence that the two are different
> individuals. He concluded, p. 532: “We can settle this question only if
> there is more definite evidence than we have at present in favour of either
> of the two views.”
>
> Allan Wright Thrasher in his book, The Advaita Vedānta of Brahma-siddhi
> (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1993), wrote, p. 121: “I do not wish here to
> reopen the debate on Maṇḍana’s identity with Sureśvara, which I consider to
> have been settled once for all against their identity by Kuppuswami Sastri
> in his introduction to the BS.” Thrasher gives a bibliography of the debate
> in note 36 on pp. 155-156, with fuller references found in the Bibliography
> to his book, including dates of publication. He also counters
> Balasubramanian’s article in note 37, pp. 156-157.
>
>
> >
> Best regards,
>
> >
>
> >
> David Reigle
>
> >
> Colorado, U.S.A.
>
> >
>
>
> >
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 2:31 AM, alakendu das via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info
> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=indology@list.indology.info>
> > wrote:
>
> >
>>
>> Note: Forwarded message attached
>>
>> >
>>
>> > -- Original Message --
>>
>> >
>>
>> > From: "alakendu das"mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>>
>> > To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>>
>> > Subject: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> >---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>
>> >From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>> >
>>
>> >To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>> >
>>
>> >Cc:
>>
>> >Bcc:
>>
>> >Date:
>>
>> >Subject: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>> >Note: Forwarded message attached
>>
>> >
>>
>> > -- Original Message --
>>
>> >
>>
>> > From: "alakendu das"mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>>
>> > To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>>
>> > Subject: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> >---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>
>> >From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>> >
>>
>> >To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>> >
>>
>> >Cc:
>>
>> >Bcc:
>>
>> >Date:
>>
>> >Subject: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>> >
>>
>> > To All,
>>
>> >
>>
>> > Can anybody may kindly enlighten me on the question as to whether the
>> names Mandan Misra and
>>
>> > SureshwarAcharya refer to the same person.? History has to say that
>> Mandan Misra engaged himself in an
>>
>> > ardous argumentation with Shankaracahrya ,while utimately accepting
>> defeat, and was Re christened as
>>
>> > SureshwaraAcharaya. Is this fact or fiction?
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> > ALAKENDU DAS.
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> >_______________________________________________
>>
>> > INDOLOGY mailing list
>>
>> > INDOLOGY at list.indology.info
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@list.indology.info>
>>
>> > indology-owner at list.indology.info
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=indology-owner@list.indology.info>
>> (messages to the list's managing committee)
>>
>> > http://listinfo.indology.info
>> <//www.rediffmail.com/cgi-bin/red.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Flistinfo%2Eindology%2Einfo&isImage=0&BlockImage=0&rediffng=0&rogue=fcfa641036e14a91f52b2ae6616359eff1bc69cb&rdf=VGxSMVA+UzpdbVNiBDYGPlBiBWpbZQNoAz9bI1dlAGlVcw==>
>> (where you can change your list options or unsubscribe)
>>
>> >
>
>
>
> >
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE <diegoloukota at ucla.edu>
> To: indology <indology at list.indology.info>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 15:19:38 -0500
> Subject: [INDOLOGY] Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara
> 'property'?
>
>     Dear list members,
>
>     Is anyone familiar with the term *pavitthara* in Ardhamāgadhī or with
> its presumed Sanskrit etymon *pravistara* in the sense of 'property'? I
> am interested in understanding a recurring description of wealth in the
> *Uvāsagadasāo* that one encounters for the first time in 1.4 (1.17, etc.)
> in connection to one wealthy Āṇanda. The passage goes as follows in
> Hoernle's 1890 edition (p.3, lines 4-7):
>
>
> *tassa ṇaṃ āṇandassa gāhāvaïssa cattāri hiraṇakoḍio nihāṇapaüttāo, cattāri
> hiraṇakoḍio vaḍḍhipaüttāo, cattāri hiraṇakoḍio pavittharapaüttāo [...]
> hotthā*
> [roughly: *atha tasya ānandasya gṛhapateś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyo
> nidhānaprayuktāś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyo vṛddhiprayuktāś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyaḥ
> pravistaraprayuktāḥ [...] abhavan*]
>
> "The householder (banker/capitalist/businessman) Ānanda had four crores
> of gold put in deposit, four crores of gold put on interest, and
> four crores of gold put into *pavittha*"
>
>      In his translation, Hoernle renders *pavittha* as 'well-stocked
> estate' and invokes the following gloss from the Sanskrit commentary:
> 'property consisting of treasure, grain, two-footed animals (incl.
> servants), four-footed animals, etc' (p.8, n.12). Ratnacandra Muni's
> "Illustrated Ardhamāgadhī Dictionary" gives 'property,' but none of the
> occurrences that he mentions clarifies much its meaning as far as I have
> been able to tell.
>     The triad might well read as "cash+debts+property,"  but I would like
> to know how likely is 'property' as a meaning for this word instead of the
> well attested 'extent, circumference.' I wonder if the lexeme *vi-√stṛ*
> might have some technical meaning that eludes me and if *pavitthara *is
> soemwhat related to the compound *vistīrṇaviśālaparigraha* 'with extended
> and wide property' that occurs in similarly stereotyped descriptions of
> wealth in the *Mūlasarvāstivādavinaya* and derived narrative collections,
> and that might refer to land. Land (*khetta*), however, is separately
> treated in the list of Āṇanda's assets in a later passage (1.19). Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
>     *namaskaromi*,
>
>     Diego
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: David and Nancy Reigle <dnreigle at gmail.com>
> To: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com>
> Cc: Indology <indology at list.indology.info>
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:39:31 -0600
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>
> Dear Alakendu Das,
>
> S. Kuppuswami Sastri’s 1937 edition of Brahmasiddhi of Ācārya Maṇḍanamiśra
> has been scanned by the Digital Library of India and is available at
> Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/BrahmasiddhiByAcaryaMandanamis
> raKuppuswamiSastri
>
> The entire section of S. Kuppuswami Sastri’s Introduction on this
> question, pp. xxiv-lvii, has also been published separately as an article,
> “Maṇḍana-Sureśvara Equation in the History of Advaita,” Annals of the
> Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, vol. 18, 1937, pp. 121-157. It is
> now available at JSTOR.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Reigle
>
> Colorado, U.S.A.
>
>
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 12:59 PM, alakendu das <
> mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dr.David and Nancy Ringley,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your very very illuminating answer.I wish I would
>> be able to make a search for Kuppuswamy's article.
>>
>>
>>
>> Alakendu Das.
>>
>>
>> From: "David and Nancy Reigle"dnreigle at gmail.com
>> Sent:Sat, 24 Mar 2018 22:57:57 +0530
>> To: alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>> Cc: Indology indology at list.indology.info
>> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>
>> Dear Alakendu Das,
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>>
>> Since the story of Maṇḍana Miśra becoming Sureśvara is only found in some
>> religious biographies of Śaṅkarācārya, we cannot know for certain whether
>> it is fact or fiction. Therefore some scholars have tried to determine this
>> by comparing the writings of Maṇḍana Miśra and Sureśvara, and finding
>> references to them in other writings.
>>
>> The first person to call into question the accepted tradition of their
>> identity seems to have been M. Hiriyanna in two articles, “Suresvara and
>> Mandana-Misra,” published in The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of
>> Great Britain and Ireland, 1923, pp. 259-263, and 1924, pp. 96-97. After
>> some intervening articles on this topic by others, S. Kuppuswami Sastri, in
>> his long English Introduction to his 1937 Sanskrit edition of Brahmasiddhi
>> of Ācārya Maṇḍanamiśra, pp. xxiv-lvii, provided considerably more evidence
>> that the two are different individuals. Yet in the Foreword to that same
>> 1937 book, pp. vi-ix, P. P. Subrahmanya Sastri countered this evidence and
>> maintained the traditional identity of the two. The debate has continued
>> ever since. Suffice it to give two examples.
>>
>> R. Balasubramanian in his article, “Identity of Maṇḍanamiśra” (Journal of
>> the American Oriental Society, vol. 82, 1962, pp. 522-532), did not accept
>> as definitive Kuppuswami Sastri’s evidence that the two are different
>> individuals. He concluded, p. 532: “We can settle this question only if
>> there is more definite evidence than we have at present in favour of either
>> of the two views.”
>>
>> Allan Wright Thrasher in his book, The Advaita Vedānta of Brahma-siddhi
>> (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1993), wrote, p. 121: “I do not wish here to
>> reopen the debate on Maṇḍana’s identity with Sureśvara, which I consider to
>> have been settled once for all against their identity by Kuppuswami Sastri
>> in his introduction to the BS.” Thrasher gives a bibliography of the debate
>> in note 36 on pp. 155-156, with fuller references found in the Bibliography
>> to his book, including dates of publication. He also counters
>> Balasubramanian’s article in note 37, pp. 156-157.
>>
>>
>> >
>> Best regards,
>>
>> >
>>
>> >
>> David Reigle
>>
>> >
>> Colorado, U.S.A.
>>
>> >
>>
>>
>> >
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 2:31 AM, alakendu das via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info
>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=indology@list.indology.info>
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >
>>>
>>> Note: Forwarded message attached
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > -- Original Message --
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > From: "alakendu das"mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>>>
>>> > To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>>>
>>> > Subject: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>
>>> >From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >Cc:
>>>
>>> >Bcc:
>>>
>>> >Date:
>>>
>>> >Subject: Fw: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>>
>>> >Note: Forwarded message attached
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > -- Original Message --
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > From: "alakendu das"mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>>>
>>> > To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>>>
>>> > Subject: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>
>>> >From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=mailmealakendudas@rediffmail.com>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@liverpool.ac.uk>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >Cc:
>>>
>>> >Bcc:
>>>
>>> >Date:
>>>
>>> >Subject: Mandan Misra -SureshwarAcharya
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > To All,
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > Can anybody may kindly enlighten me on the question as to whether the
>>> names Mandan Misra and
>>>
>>> > SureshwarAcharya refer to the same person.? History has to say that
>>> Mandan Misra engaged himself in an
>>>
>>> > ardous argumentation with Shankaracahrya ,while utimately accepting
>>> defeat, and was Re christened as
>>>
>>> > SureshwaraAcharaya. Is this fact or fiction?
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> > ALAKENDU DAS.
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >
>>>
>>> >_______________________________________________
>>>
>>> > INDOLOGY mailing list
>>>
>>> > INDOLOGY at list.indology.info
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=INDOLOGY@list.indology.info>
>>>
>>> > indology-owner at list.indology.info
>>> <http:///ajaxprism/writemail?mode=mail_to_individual&email=indology-owner@list.indology.info>
>>> (messages to the list's managing committee)
>>>
>>> > http://listinfo.indology.info
>>> <//www.rediffmail.com/cgi-bin/red.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Flistinfo%2Eindology%2Einfo&isImage=0&BlockImage=0&rediffng=0&rogue=fcfa641036e14a91f52b2ae6616359eff1bc69cb&rdf=VGxSMVA+UzpdbVNiBDYGPlBiBWpbZQNoAz9bI1dlAGlVcw==>
>>> (where you can change your list options or unsubscribe)
>>>
>>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Rolf Heinrich Koch <rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com>
> To: indology at list.indology.info
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 19:22:47 +0530
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara
> 'property'?
>
> Dear Diego
>
> a similar description in the Vasudevahiṇḍi (Vh) is probably helpful?
>
> See Vh p. 144 lines 24-26
>
> Heiner
>
> Am 25.03.2018 um 01:49 schrieb DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE via INDOLOGY:
>
>
>     Dear list members,
>
>     Is anyone familiar with the term *pavitthara* in Ardhamāgadhī or with
> its presumed Sanskrit etymon *pravistara* in the sense of 'property'? I
> am interested in understanding a recurring description of wealth in the
> *Uvāsagadasāo* that one encounters for the first time in 1.4 (1.17, etc.)
> in connection to one wealthy Āṇanda. The passage goes as follows in
> Hoernle's 1890 edition (p.3, lines 4-7):
>
>
> *tassa ṇaṃ āṇandassa gāhāvaïssa cattāri hiraṇakoḍio nihāṇapaüttāo, cattāri
> hiraṇakoḍio vaḍḍhipaüttāo, cattāri hiraṇakoḍio pavittharapaüttāo [...]
> hotthā *
> [roughly: *atha tasya ānandasya gṛhapateś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyo
> nidhānaprayuktāś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyo vṛddhiprayuktāś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyaḥ
> pravistaraprayuktāḥ [...] abhavan*]
>
> "The householder (banker/capitalist/businessman) Ānanda had four crores
> of gold put in deposit, four crores of gold put on interest, and
> four crores of gold put into *pavittha*"
>
>      In his translation, Hoernle renders *pavittha* as 'well-stocked
> estate' and invokes the following gloss from the Sanskrit commentary:
> 'property consisting of treasure, grain, two-footed animals (incl.
> servants), four-footed animals, etc' (p.8, n.12). Ratnacandra Muni's
> "Illustrated Ardhamāgadhī Dictionary" gives 'property,' but none of the
> occurrences that he mentions clarifies much its meaning as far as I have
> been able to tell.
>     The triad might well read as "cash+debts+property,"  but I would like
> to know how likely is 'property' as a meaning for this word instead of the
> well attested 'extent, circumference.' I wonder if the lexeme *vi-√stṛ*
> might have some technical meaning that eludes me and if *pavitthara *is
> soemwhat related to the compound *vistīrṇaviśālaparigraha* 'with extended
> and wide property' that occurs in similarly stereotyped descriptions of
> wealth in the *Mūlasarvāstivādavinaya* and derived narrative collections,
> and that might refer to land. Land (*khetta*), however, is separately
> treated in the list of Āṇanda's assets in a later passage (1.19). Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
>     *namaskaromi*,
>
>     Diego
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> INDOLOGY mailing listINDOLOGY at list.indology.infoindology-owner@list.indology.info (messages to the list's managing committee)http://listinfo.indology.info (where you can change your list options or unsubscribe)
>
>
> -- www.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Tieken, H.J.H." <H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl>
> To: Rolf Heinrich Koch <rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com>, "
> indology at list.indology.info" <indology at list.indology.info>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 14:30:32 +0000
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara
> 'property'?
> Dear Diego,
> The Āgamaśabdakośa (Ladnun) refers to quite a number of instances of
> pavitthara. I have looked at only one, Sūyagaḍa 2.2.58, which gives a long
> list of items concluded by pavittara-vihīo. Maybe you should have a closer
> look at the instances referred to in this word index.
> Kind regards, Herman
>
> Herman Tieken
> Stationsweg 58
> 2515 BP Den Haag
> The Netherlands
> 00 31 (0)70 2208127
> website: hermantieken.com
> ------------------------------
> *Van:* INDOLOGY [indology-bounces at list.indology.info] namens Rolf
> Heinrich Koch via INDOLOGY [indology at list.indology.info]
> *Verzonden:* zondag 25 maart 2018 15:52
> *Aan:* indology at list.indology.info
> *Onderwerp:* Re: [INDOLOGY] Ardhamagadhi pavitthara, Sanskrit pravistara
> 'property'?
>
> Dear Diego
>
> a similar description in the Vasudevahiṇḍi (Vh) is probably helpful?
>
> See Vh p. 144 lines 24-26
>
> Heiner
>
> Am 25.03.2018 um 01:49 schrieb DIEGO LOUKOTA SANCLEMENTE via INDOLOGY:
>
>
>     Dear list members,
>
>     Is anyone familiar with the term *pavitthara* in Ardhamāgadhī or with
> its presumed Sanskrit etymon *pravistara* in the sense of 'property'? I
> am interested in understanding a recurring description of wealth in the
> *Uvāsagadasāo* that one encounters for the first time in 1.4 (1.17, etc.)
> in connection to one wealthy Āṇanda. The passage goes as follows in
> Hoernle's 1890 edition (p.3, lines 4-7):
>
>
> *tassa ṇaṃ āṇandassa gāhāvaïssa cattāri hiraṇakoḍio nihāṇapaüttāo, cattāri
> hiraṇakoḍio vaḍḍhipaüttāo, cattāri hiraṇakoḍio pavittharapaüttāo [...]
> hotthā *
> [roughly: *atha tasya ānandasya gṛhapateś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyo
> nidhānaprayuktāś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyo vṛddhiprayuktāś catasro hiraṇyakoṭyaḥ
> pravistaraprayuktāḥ [...] abhavan*]
>
> "The householder (banker/capitalist/businessman) Ānanda had four crores
> of gold put in deposit, four crores of gold put on interest, and
> four crores of gold put into *pavittha*"
>
>      In his translation, Hoernle renders *pavittha* as 'well-stocked
> estate' and invokes the following gloss from the Sanskrit commentary:
> 'property consisting of treasure, grain, two-footed animals (incl.
> servants), four-footed animals, etc' (p.8, n.12). Ratnacandra Muni's
> "Illustrated Ardhamāgadhī Dictionary" gives 'property,' but none of the
> occurrences that he mentions clarifies much its meaning as far as I have
> been able to tell.
>     The triad might well read as "cash+debts+property,"  but I would like
> to know how likely is 'property' as a meaning for this word instead of the
> well attested 'extent, circumference.' I wonder if the lexeme *vi-√stṛ*
> might have some technical meaning that eludes me and if *pavitthara *is
> soemwhat related to the compound *vistīrṇaviśālaparigraha* 'with extended
> and wide property' that occurs in similarly stereotyped descriptions of
> wealth in the *Mūlasarvāstivādavinaya* and derived narrative collections,
> and that might refer to land. Land (*khetta*), however, is separately
> treated in the list of Āṇanda's assets in a later passage (1.19). Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
>     *namaskaromi*,
>
>     Diego
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> INDOLOGY mailing listINDOLOGY at list.indology.infoindology-owner@list.indology.info (messages to the list's managing committee)http://listinfo.indology.info (where you can change your list options or unsubscribe)
>
>
> -- www.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> INDOLOGY mailing list
> INDOLOGY at list.indology.info
> http://list.indology.info/mailman/listinfo/indology_list.indology.info
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/attachments/20180329/9509ce17/attachment.html>


More information about the INDOLOGY mailing list