3 Vedic seasons or 6?

Dean Michael Anderson eastwestcultural at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 20 12:02:56 EDT 2012

I ran across a reference in Upender Singh's A History of Ancient and Early Medieval India that refers to only 3 seasons in the Vedic ritual. I was only aware of the standard 6 season schema. In researching this I found a reference in the Jaiminiya Braahmana (III.I) that spoke of Prajapati creating 3 seasons associated with the 3 worlds. He then divided each of them in two to make 6 seasons.

Did the Vedic people ever actually recognize only 3 seasons or is this theological reasoning to link the 6 seasons back to a 3-fold order? Is this discussed in greater depth anywhere?

Best,

Dean Anderson