Help with English

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon May 21 10:48:07 EDT 2007

At least in American usage, then, it is a College about to become a University.  A college grants bachelor's degrees (B.A., B.S., B.Engineering etc.) and a University grants master's degrees or doctorates, in addition to bachelorates.  An institution of tertiary education would not be called an Academy.  A university usually will grant post-bachelor's degrees in several fields but could grant them only in one.

There are complications in the US with religious schools.  They may be called by other names such as   Seminaries, Schools, Schools of Theology, etc. but their degrees will usually require a previous bachelor's degree. Nowadays not everyone in these is preparing for ordination.  But in any case sticking with College or University would be clearer.


Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

>>> Ruzsa Ferenc <ferenc.ruzsa at ELTE.HU> 05/21/07 9:12 AM >>>

I see I need to be more specific.

Currently we have BA courses (3 years, youngest student aged 19), and in 
September we start our first MA course. Although it is a private institution 
belonging to our Buddhist church of the same name, essentially it is 
sponsored by the Hungarian government. Core curriculum is in Buddhism (with 
specilizations in Sanskrit and Pali, or Chinese, or Tibetan, or Japanese, or 
comparative religion and philosophy, or Dharma teaching, or Budo).

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at] On Behalf Of
>> Ruzsa Ferenc
>> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 1:51 PM
>> To: INDOLOGY at
>> Subject: Help with English
>> Friends,
>> Could some of you help me finding a proper English equivalent
>> for the name of the institution where I teach? (Right now we
>> have no native speakers around.) In Hungarian it is "A Tan
>> Kapuja Buddhista Foiskola", literally "The Gate of the
>> Teaching Buddhist College".
>> Stylistic intuitions differ; some suggestions proposed were
>> "Gate of the Dharma", "Dharma Gate", "Gate to Dharma" (and
>> perhaps "Budapest Buddhist University" added).
>> Thank you for your suggestions,
>> Ferenc
>> --------------------------------------------------------
>> Ferenc Ruzsa, PhD
>> associate professor of philosophy
>> Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
>> e-mail: ferenc.ruzsa at

More information about the INDOLOGY mailing list