Help with English

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon May 21 08:40:14 EDT 2007

I take it Lars Martin means that it is a secondary school (graduating
students around 18), not a university.  If this is so, one might also
call it an Academy, which at least in American English can mean not only
an institution of distinguished research scholars, but a private primary
or secondary school, whether day or boarding. This might also be
appropriate in that, at least by repute, the currciulum in European
academic secondary schools is more rigorous than in the standard North
American "high schools" (secondary schools).

On the other hand, should it include both academic and non-academic
"tracks," High School might make sense.

In any case, High School is two words, and since it is a North
Americanism there is no issue of its being one word in English language
usage elsewhere.


Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.

>>> Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at CHELLO.NO> 05/21/07 8:27 AM >>>
Hello Ferenc,

Since it is a föiskola and not an egyetem, you might want to try

Dharma Gate Buddhist Highschool or
Dharma Gate Buddhist College

You could add Budapest as well:

(The) Budapest Dharma Gate Buddhist Highschool or
(The) Budapest Dharma Gate Buddhist College
Best regards,

Lars Martin

From: Lars Martin Fosse 
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114, 
0674 Oslo - Norway 
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250 
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45 
E-mail: lmfosse at 


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at] On Behalf Of 
> Ruzsa Ferenc
> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 1:51 PM
> To: INDOLOGY at 
> Subject: Help with English
> Friends,
> Could some of you help me finding a proper English equivalent 
> for the name of the institution where I teach? (Right now we 
> have no native speakers around.) In Hungarian it is "A Tan 
> Kapuja Buddhista Főiskola", literally "The Gate of the 
> Teaching Buddhist College".
> Stylistic intuitions differ; some suggestions proposed were 
> "Gate of the Dharma", "Dharma Gate", "Gate to Dharma" (and 
> perhaps "Budapest Buddhist University" added). 
> Thank you for your suggestions,
> Ferenc
> --------------------------------------------------------
> Ferenc Ruzsa, PhD
> associate professor of philosophy
> Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
> e-mail: ferenc.ruzsa at

More information about the INDOLOGY mailing list