question on recaka-pUraka-kumbhaka

Ven. Tantra troyoga at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 7 09:25:42 EST 2001

While inquiring into the origins of recaka, puuraka
and kumbhaka, we should not neglect maatra, which is
equally as important and fundamental to the discipline
of pranayama as “the three phases of respiration.”

I presume maatra (time/count/ratio) correlates to
Patanjali’s kaala.

It seems that Patanjali used terms that were less
technical and more literary, in order to be precise.
Somewhere in Part II, he introduces several terms. If
I’m not mistaken, baahya means, “exhale” and
âbhyantara means, “inhale.” Stambavrtti refers to the
retention of the breath after exhalation or
inhalation. This holding of the breath is supposed to
be ‘stable and supporting like a pillar.’

Doesn’t _kâla_ refers to the ‘duration’ of exhalation,
inhalation and retention?

VT