Buddhist question

Peter Flugel pf at CIX.CO.UK
Thu Mar 19 04:35:00 EST 1998

Dear Madhav,

I received your request from Peter Flugel via the Indology list-serv.

I was not aware that the Mingun had written a controversial work, but
below
is my own summary of his life from my PhD thesis entitled `Ttraditions of
Buddhist practice in Burma'. London: School of Oriental and African
Studies, 1990, pp 289-90.

Do you have the email of Patrick Pranke? I would very much like to get in
touch with him. What is he doing now?

Please do let me know more about yourself and your project!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Gustaaf Houtman
Visiting Professor
Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures
                                    of Asia and Africa (ILCAA)
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
ghoutman at aa.tufs.ac.jp (until 30 August 1998)
ghoutman at compuserve.com (permanent)
********************************
Mìn-gùn Hsa-ya-daw, Zei-da-wun Mu-lá (Na-ra-dá, Ù)
(1869-1954)
His biographer (1958: 203-08) gives 107 meditation centres teaching his
methods, though some of these, e.g. those of the Ma-ha-si and
Taung-pu-lú,
should now clearly be treated as `new' traditions in their own right.
1869            Born on 16 January 1869 in Kan-gyì-gòn Village (10 miles
north of the town Sa-gaìng and west of Mìn-gùn). Named Maung Tha Byàw, he
had three sisters. His father was from Kyauk-pa-nan Village (1 mile south
of Kan-gyì-gòn-), and his mother from Kan-gyì-gòn Village.
1883            He became a novice at age of 14 with Sàw-kè Kyaùng
Hsa-ya-daw.
1886            He left monkhood for a while at age 17 when the English
took Upper Burma, but reentered under a cousin (ta-wun-gwe naung-daw),
Hsa-ya-daw Ù Lek-hka-na, at Man-gyì-sú-tàw-yá Monastery, east of
Kan-gyì-gòn Village.
1887            He was ordained a monk in this monastery in 1887 (1249).
He went to study the scriptures with Ù Ya-zein-dá from
Mìn-gùn-taung-baw-gyì Monastery. Then he went to: Mò-gaung Monastery in
Mandalay, Dak-hkí-ná-wun Monastery, Myá-daung Monastery, and San Kyaùng
Monastery. He then went to Lower Burma to study with Wei-lú-wun
Hsa-ya-daw
in Shwei-daung Myó. He returned to Mìn-gùn-taung-baw Monastery where he
continued his studies.
1894            He disrobed after 6 rainy seasons for his sisters.
1896            He returned to the monkhood after more than a year in
1896,
this time under the famous A-le-tàw-yá Hsa-ya-daw Ù Myit-zu.
Na-ra-dá first developed interest in meditation under A-le-tàw-yá
Hsa-ya-daw Ù Myit-zu-tha, but the Mìn-gùn Hsa-ya-daw is alleged to have
said that `Ù Myit-zu-tha did not distinguish between this and that method
of the tha-dí-pat-htan  practice' (Teik-hka-sa-rá 1958: 35). When
A-le-tàw-yá asked what he wanted, Mìn-gùn replied `neik-ban', to which
A-le-tàw-yá replied with a phrase taken from tha-dí-pat-htan thok.
Mìn-gùn,
dissatisfied, went on to find out (1958: 36-7).
1905            At age 37 he moved 4 furlongs west of A-le-tàw-yá
Monastery
into his own little meditation monastery.
1908            At age 40 (1908) he became a meditation teacher.
1911            In 1911 a new meditation centre was built in Myó Hlá by Ù
San Dùn (named Myó Hlá Bo-dè-gòn Ka-ma-htàn Hta-ná) where he taught
meditation for 2 rainy seasons. He then left for Tha-hton, where the
Zei-da-wun Monastery was built for him. Here he taught and wrote about
insight.
1954            He died 16 May 1954.

Burmese
Teik-hka-sa-rá (1958)
Mìn-gùn Hsa-ya-daw [n.a.] (n.d.)
Myat Kyaw (1971:359-368): compares Le-di and Mìn-gùn Hs.
Hteì Hlaing (1981: 434-477)
Hlá Tha-mein (1961: 143-144)
Kyaw Nan-dá Aung (1988:25-50)
Tha-tha-ná Wí-thok-dí (1977: 255-266)
Wí-thú-da (1980: hsá - zá-): on the relationship between M. Hsa-ya-daw &
Taung-pú-lú-
Kei-la-thá (1979:279-282)

English
King (1980: 121, 132).